Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Maple Bacon Cannoli Bites




This week I started my new job and, of course, I've been anxious all week. I could barely sleep the night before. I'm pretty sure I only got maybe 2 hours. I made it though! As soon as I stepped foot into orientation all my anxiety went away and I felt comfortable.

The roles have reversed for me and my husband. I am now the main supporter of our small family. Just over a year ago my husband fell through a skylight while doing a roofing job and broke his back. He had spinal surgery and his recovery has been a long road.

I've recently found sometimes our strength and confidence really grows when forced into challenging situations. Suffering from GAD and Panic Disorder made stepping up to the plate not only hard, but pretty damn scary for me. I was always the one who needed support and help and now it was my turn to play that role.


I've learned so much about myself in the last year. The most important thing being that I'm a strong person. I know now that I can get through anything and I can be the person my husband needs me to be. His battle with his recovery has been a rocky road. Every day I am thankful to wake up with him and be the person he can count on.

It was actually my husband who inspired me to do the work that I do now. About 5 years ago I got my nursing assistant license, but never did anything with it. Taking care of him and seeing the aids and nurses in the hospital care for him made me remember how rewarding and important caregivers are. I've been a caregiver now for a year and a half and I love my job.

This entire experience, though challenging, has definitely proven to me that good things can come from tragic situations and that the lessons you learn can be very rewarding.


Ingredients:

Double batch of your favorite pie crust
Cinnamon 
Nutmeg
Bacon

Maple Cannoli Filling
8 oz ricotta cheese
4 oz mascarpone cheese
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbs maple syrup

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease mini muffin tin.
2. Roll your pie crust out and cut 24 circles with a 2 1/2 - 3 inch cutter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Place circles into mini muffin tin. push them down and mold them around the cups.
4. Poke a couple small holes in each pie crust cups with a tooth pick to help prevent air bubbles.
5. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. While pie crust is baking make the cannoli filling. Add ricotta, mascarpone, powdered sugar and maple syrup to stand mixer.
7. With paddle attachment mix on low until everything comes together. Put in piping bag and set aside.
8. Once pie crusts cups are done baking let them cool for 5 minutes then take them out of the muffin tin. Place on pan to finish cooling.
9. Start frying your bacon. Fry it nice and crispy. Set on paper towels when done to absorb the grease.
10. Pipe cannoli filling into pie crust cups and top with cooled bacon.

1 comment :

  1. Glad you and your family are stronger today and those cannoli bites are very creative!

    ReplyDelete