Saturday, February 20, 2016

Cheddar Bacon Quiche



My favorite thing about my job is meeting new people and learning about them. Being in the home health care field gives me a chance to really get to know someone. They say we're not suppose to get emotionally involved, but I haven't met a caregiver yet who hasn't.

Recently, one of my favorite clients passed away. I got to know her and her husband very well and I got to know all their likes and dislikes, hobbies, and interests. I was with this client when she passed away. It was the first time I ever experienced death in my job and it was one of the most challenging experiences of my life.

I think of this client often as I start a new job with new clients. I learned so much about home health care working with her and she'll always have a special place in my heart.

I made this quiche for her husband who would frequently request that I cook him eggs for all his meals. I've never met a guy who eats as many eggs as him.



Ingredients:

1 homemade pie crust or store bought crust
5 medium sized eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 yellow onion
5 strips bacon
Salt and Pepper (I didn't add salt because of bacon)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Roll your pie crust out slightly bigger than your pie plate. Put pie crust into plate folding the over hang under the crust. Crimp crust as desired.
3. Fry your bacon and let grease drain on paper towels.
4. Dice your onions and saute them in bacon grease.
5. Pat the onions dry of grease.
6. Combine eggs and heavy cream together. Beating the eggs into heavy cream.
7. Add your cheddar cheese, sauteed onions, and crumbled bacon into eggs and heavy cream. Add salt and pepper as desired.
8. Pour into pie crust and bake for 30 minutes or until quiche is almost set all the way and barely jiggles in the middle.

2 comments :

  1. Jamie, oh gosh, that's got to be the hardest . . working in the home health care field and losing a client. and I'm with you, how can you not get emotionally involved?? . . thanks for sharing this and I hope her husband liked the quiche . . so sweet of you to make it for him and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a difficult job, but it's so rewarding!

      Delete